Nowadays, gaming consoles such as PS4 and PS5 became an all-around home entertainment system dedicated for not just for gaming but also for multimedia functionality such as an ability to play physical Blu-ray and DVD movies, stream Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Disney+ and others.
Using a VPN on your PlayStation console can take advantage on using other streaming apps not available on your region, accessing different gaming servers or an ability to download games from different region via PlayStation Store.
Process of Bypassing Restricted Online Gaming Servers
The best solution for gamers to ensure security and privacy while getting into those online based gaming servers has been figured out as the VPN or virtual private network services. Through this VPN service, gamers can easily get into those restricted online gaming servers and at the same time can be sure of enough safety. Besides, users can easily hide their real identity as this server can help them surfing through the Internet as an anonymous user which is big plus point for any of the gamers around the world.
Set Up Procedure of VPN Connection:
Set-up your Router’s VPN settings
Since PlayStation consoles doesn’t support native VPN features, the first way is you must have a router have been set up with your preferred VPN service. And connect your PS4 or PS5 to your router with a VPN already setup via Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection. Make sure to check your router’s instruction manual for details in activating a VPN mode. Also, check out our article for VPN for Router recommendations here:
Using your Windows PC via Ethernet or Wi-Fi hotspot feature
If setting up your router for VPN connection is overkill for you, the other way is to use your Windows PC with a VPN app installed to your PS4 using an Ethernet cable.
To Connect via Ethernet port:
- Install VPN app of your choice and connect to it.
- Connect your PS4 or PS5 to your PC via Ethernet port. If you’re using a desktop PC, you can use a USB ethernet adapter instead if your main Ethernet port on your PC is being used to connect from your router. If you’re using a laptop with an Ethernet port (or us a USB ethernet adapter), you must have connected to a Wi-Fi connection.
- Open Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center and select Change Adapter Settings. Then, right-click on your VPN connection and click Properties.
- Open the Sharing Tab and make sure that the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” is checked.
- Select “Home Networking Connection” and select your internet connection from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Do Not Use a Proxy Server” when prompted.
- Test your internet connection if your console should be connected.
To use your Wi-Fi Hotspot feature (Windows 10/11 only):
- We recommend that your internet connection is connected via Ethernet. Make sure that your Wi-Fi adapter is present. If you’re using a laptop or your desktop PC has a built-in Wi-Fi adapter, you’re good to go. You can also use a USB Wi-Fi adapter to use this method if it doesn’t have one.
- Open Windows Settings app > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi Hotspot
- On Windows 10, go back to Network & Internet > Change adapter options. On Windows 11, go back to Network & Internet > Advanced network settings > More network adapter options.
- Right-click on TAP-[insert VPN provider name here] Windows Adapter and select Properties.
- Select the Sharing tab and then check the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection box. From the dropdown menu, select the hotspot you’ve created. You can find an adapter name being tagged below as Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter.
Using MediaStreamer DNS feature
If your VPN provider supports MediaStreamer feature such as ExpressVPN, you can set up your PlayStation console using that method instead. You can check out a guide for that down below.
Best VPN for PlayStation
From the pool of available services for providing VPN, you can pick the best one based on their user interactivity, service quality and customer support system. To make your life easy a list of the top providers are closed in this article.